Monday, March 14, 2011

'Ex-terrorist saved my life'

Delhi: Russian hairdresser who was robbed of $10,000 cash, gold jewellery and passport in the Capital finds an unlikely ally

Russian hairdresser Elena Narkhova wanted to start her life afresh after getting a divorce. So she decided to leave her country and come to India, which she felt was a paradise. In June 2008, she came here and planned to open a hair dressing salon.  And she even dreamt of marrying an Indian.


A friend in need: Elena Narkhova

But fate seemed to have other plans for her. During her stay in a hotel in Paharganj area, Elena happened to meet and befriend a local, Prabhojot Singh. She told Singh about her plans and sought his help in realising them. Singh told her that opening a salon in India will cost her a lot of money. So she returned to Russia, sold her entire property and came back with money after a month.


Says Altaf Bhat helped her out of a tight spot. Pic/Mid Day

Singh received her at Indira Gandhi International airport and took her to a hotel in Paharganj. He then married her in a local temple and they stayed in the hotel. "The next day I found myself alone in the hotel room. Prabhojot had gone and so was my $10,000 cash, gold jewellery and passport. I complained to local police but they didn't help me. I became sad because I was cheated by a person who had married me," said Elena.

Dejected and heart-broken Elena then happened to meet an ex-terrorist, Altaf Bhat. When he heard her plight, he helped her lodge an FIR at Paharganj police station and even offered her a place to stay. Since then she has been living with Altaf in a hope that police will arrest Prabhojot one day. "I want ask Prabhojot why he did this to me," said Elena while alleging that police are in know of his whereabouts but don't want to arrest him. 
Despite being cheated and having faced police apathy, Elena is still positive about her Indian dream.

Altaf had arrested by Jammu and Kashmir police for carrying out terrorist activities. He was later convicted and has served his sentence. He told MiD DAY that now he did not believe in terror and his aim was to spread the message of peace. "When I met Elena, she was perturbed, had no money and even police was not listening to her. I felt it was my duty to help her," said he.

1 comment:

  1. we want this lady must get justice in India.other wise it will be against human rights.and like this no one will come in this country.hope other Indians are also with me to support elena.

    ReplyDelete