Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fashion executive breaks down in court as she describes 'NYPD rape horror'

A fashion executive allegedly raped by a police officer broke down today as she told a court she had woken up face down on a mattress while someone was removing her tights.
NYPD officer Kenneth Moreno is accused of attacking the woman while colleague Franklin Mata stood watch after being called out to help her home from a night out.
Today the alleged victim described how she had woken to the sound of 'velcro ripping' and that her legs were spread open.
Kenneth Moreno
Franklin Mata
On trial: NYPD cop Kenneth Moreno, left, is accused of raping the fashion executive while Franklin Mata, right, stood watch. They both deny all charges
She said she remembered 'waking up up in my bed face down, and my legs are out like this, my face was down in my mattress, and my arms were spread out and my hands were palms down'.
'My legs were spread out behind me,' she added. 'They were slightly open.
'I woke up because someone was rolling my tights down my legs. I felt the rolling, I heard the rustling of clothing, and velcro ripping. Then I passed out.'
The court had earlier heard from the alleged victim's boss.
Joanna Kreling wept as she described how the alleged attack had profoundly changed her 28-year-old friend and Gap colleague, leaving her 'devastated.'
The jury also heard that the police officers called in a fake 911 so that they could return to her house in the East District of New York.
A suspicious emergency call was made at 2am in December 2008, the court heard.
The two officers allegedly phoned in a fake complaint about a sleeping homeless man near to the 'rape victim's' apartment to give themselves a reason to return to her home a second time.
It is alleged they made four trips throughout the night.
CCTV: This clip shows the officers exiting the building at 1:50am. They made three return trips to her East Village, Manhattan, apartment in five hours
CCTV: This clip shows the officers exiting the building at 1:50am. They made three return trips to her East Village, Manhattan, apartment in five hours
Both the officers insist there was no sex between either of them and the woman they'd been summoned to help after she couldn't get out of the cab at the curb outside her apartment. 
Defence lawyers claim that Moreno, who is a recovering alcoholic, was merely returning to counsel the woman about drinking and that he may have simply kissed her shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment