Monday, May 9, 2011

UK bookie wants to use item girl for IPL fixing

Liza Malik, best known for proposing to a cricketer on a reality show, has been offered Rs 50 lakh to arrange for cricketers to talk to an international bookmaker
Item girl Liza Malik, best known for her proposal to a cricket player on the reality show Dancing Queen, has found herself figuring on the radar of international bookmakers. A UK-based bookie, who calls himself Razaaq aka Razz, has been calling Malik asking her to use her alleged familiarity with Indian cricketers to help him fix matches in the ongoing edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL). She has been offered Rs 50 lakh for the job.
Liza, who is also a stage performer, has done several shows that were attended by cricketers playing in the IPL and for Team India. She was also a regular at the IPL post-match parties last year.

Hotline: Item girl Liza Malik filed a complaint at Oshiwara police station
yesterday. Malik came into the spotlight with her music album Simply Liza,
which also featured Mika Singh. Pic/Satyajit Desai
"I was in Thailand last week when the calls started pouring in from unknown international numbers. The caller said he knew that I was close to couple of cricketers and asked me to arrange for him to speak to them," said Malik. "He offered me Rs 50 lakh if I could get the cricketers to play as per his 'equations'. I told him that I am a mere performer and am not acquainted with cricketers, but he kept emphasising on the Bhajji controversy. After I got a little rude with the man, he threatened me with dire consequences if I did not do his bidding. It seems he has been tracking me. He knew where I lived, knew about my family and even knew that I was in Thailand then," she added.
Petrified, Liza approached the Oshiwara police station on returning to the city yesterday and registered a complaint against the caller. "A non-cognisable complaint has been registered against an unknown person under Section 307 (issuing threats through phone calls) of the IPC. We have asked her to approach us if she gets a call from the person again and we will register an FIR then," said a senior official of the Oshiwara police.

No comments:

Post a Comment